Well if this site were a marriage, I would be the neglectful workaholic husband for sure. Now that my incredibly crazy travel summer is over, I do aspire to get back into a routine. Here's hoping...
A few years ago my wife and I stayed at a hotel in our own town for our anniversary. Because of a lot going on in our lives at the time, we really couldn't make time to get away and so we booked a room at a hotel just a half-mile down the road. Sounds simple, but it really was amazing.
Just being in a hotel makes you feel like you're traveling. There are swimming pools, hot tubs, and even paying a little more for your room can get you some pretty sweet amenities: in-room jacuzzi tubs, big flat screen TVs, and even fancy beds to name a few.
Planning a night away in a hotel in your own town makes familiar things less familiar. "Dinner, a movie, then back to your hotel room?" Very nice. You will break your routine, and breaking your routine can be sexy.
I would suggest all you husbands to plan a surprise one-night getaway with your wife in your own town. After doing this again recently and sharing a wonderful night together, my wife and I both commented that it felt like we had actually just had an entire vacation.
Here are a few suggestions when planning your one-night getaway:
- Choose one of the newer hotels in your town. Often their cheapest rooms still have some modern amenities: brand new beds, real nice TVs, etc.
- Ask if they have any in-room jacuzzi tubs available.
- Ask about any romantic packages they may offer. Sometimes these include dinner and a movie.
- Always see if they are willing to give a discount. Some hotels give a local's discount. Once while traveling I explained that I didn't have a lot to spend on a room and wondered if I could get some kind of discount, and the lady at the front desk gave me the AAA discount even though I wasn't a member.)
- Don't stay at a motel. Motels aren't generally associate with romance.
- Make the whole night a surprise. Remember, the key to a woman's heart is an unexpected gift at an unexpected time. Surprise her by sending her to get a massage. Pick her up and take her straight to the hotel for the night. Plan some relaxing time, plan some fun time, plan some romantic time. Have rose pedals, have candles, do something that shows you went above and beyond.
- Consider the things that would make her apprehensive. "The kids? At your parents' house." "Clothes? I packed them for you?" Take care of all the things that would distract her from being in the moment with you.
- Just be creative!